Saturday, April 01, 2006

4/2/06 playlist

Wrapping Paper--Cream
I Feel Free--Cream
Our Pen's Out of Ink--The Russian Futurists
Catch a Falling Star--Perry Como
April Fools--Rufus Wainwright
Shy That Way--Tristan Prettyman
It's Just a Little Bit Too Late--Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders
Closet Case--Skanic
Vehicle--AC-Rock
The Game of Love--Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders
Just Like This Train--Joni Mitchell
Retreat--The Rakes
Respect--Otis Redding
Hella Good--No Doubt
It's a Monster's Holiday--Buck Owens
Crying Time--Buck Owens
All Around the World--Lisa Stansfield

Hour 2--World Traveler

London Town--Wings
Amsterdam--Guster
Lady of Spain--Jack Convery and Friends
Marrakesh Express--Crosby, Stills & Nash
Diamonds from Sierra Leone--Kanye West
Istanbul (Not Constantinople)--They Might Be Giants
Midnight in Moscow--Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen
On the Road to Mandalay--Frank Sinatra/Red Norvo Quintet
This is Japan--Jack Green
Trains to Brazil--Guillemots
Down in Mexico--The Coasters
Going to California--Joseph Patrick Moore
Giapponese a Roma--Momus
El Paso--Marty Robbins
Back Home Again in Indiana--Gary Burton

Random notes: I had downloaded a live version of a Tristan Prettyman song a few weeks ago, and liked it...was on the fence whether or not to buy her newest CD, "Twenty Three"...and I have to admit, the cover convinced me to go ahead. It didn't surprise me to find out that this woman is also a model. Her CD is a nice collection of simple acoustic pop, with featured guests Jason Mraz and G. Love popping in on a few tracks...Just so you know, I've had the Russian Futurists song in my jukebox for a few months now, but only this week does its insistent refrain keeps nagging at my brain. See if it does the same for you (and I'm sorry if that's--um--not a good thing)...Really, the main reason Perry follows the RF is that I thought his song has a similar type repetitive groove, albeit, 50s-style, of course...hey, just try and overlay the two songs...the cover of the Ides of March's "Vehicle" was a nice surprise that I found on Brian Ibbott's podcast "Coverville" last week (not that the program was last week's...anyhow...). Brian does a really nice job at presenting a charming, low-key podcast with some interesting stuff every week (and my God, more than once a week...how do these bloggers do it? Do they have jobs? Do they have families and/or lives? Heh.)...I do love ellipses...My two fave songs on the program this week are both from the UK...The Rakes with their itchy, nervous, driving beat (seems to be a trend lately) and Guillemots' utterly beautiful song, beautifully produced as well, I might add. It sounds great...As I will probably say in my geeky way on my show on Sunday, "It's a Monster's Holiday" is a song I recall from my childhood. Someone must have bought it for me. I don't remember asking for it, though in general it is difficult to remember things that happened when you were 6 in great detail...I hope I have enough time to play the Sinatra song; it's a live track that has stage banter that I always find interesting, and I hope you do, too...OK, that's quite enough for now! (Or is it...a few last minute additions to the show, and in the interest [whose?] of full disclosure..."Wrapping Paper" was a bonus cut, cos I mistakenly cued up track 1 instead of track 2 [which is "I Feel Free"]...and...wonder of wonders, I actually had extra time in the second half of the show to put in Momus' "Giapponese a Roma"...musta been cos I didn't talk a whole lot this week? [updated 4/2])

No comments: